Flat bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmlavoy

Reaction score
So, I froze my first lager about a month ago on accident. After it thawed I re-dosed it with yeast, and figured I'd be alright. 2 weeks ago, I decided to do a little bottle carbonation test just to make sure by bottling one bottle with a pinch of priming sugar.

Of course, tonight I opened my test bottle, and it was as flat as can be. I have more yeast that I can re-dose at bottling time (I was planning on bottling Saturday). My questions are:

-If I re-dose with yeast at bottling, is there any danger of my bottles exploding?
-To do the re-dose, should I make a little starter, and let it ferment out? Or let my washed yeast warm up to room temp and put it in the bottling bucket with the sugar?
-There was more than the normal amount of head space in my test bottle. Is there a chance that had anything to do with it not carbonating properly?

First off how did it freeze?

If you add more yeast at bottle time it will not affect anything as far as bottle bombs..it will simply put more yeast in the bottles..which isnt so bad.

Prime as you normally would and bottle should be fine.

Jay

Well, the extra yeast added is fine- I do that with my lagers at times.

When I add extra yeast, I only add about 1/4 of a package of dry yeast, and mix that in with my cooled priming solution then rack the beer into it.

A pinch of priming sugar isn't much at all- I would think a better test would have been a teaspoon or so. Still, if you add some yeast to the bottling bucket, and prime as usually, it'll carbonate just fine.

Back