flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan_man

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch three weeks ago and its still flat. I added the priming sugar like the kit said and mixed it in good. I have been letting them sit in my dark basement at around 60 to 65 degrees. what did u do wrong or what am I doing wring? Too cold?

Yes, too cold. Bottle carbonation takes about 3 weeks at ~70°F. At cooler temperatures it will take longer. Either bring the beer to a warmer place, or wait for the yeast to do their thing at the cooler temps.

Brew on :mug:

I moved the beer to a room that stays about 70 and I covered it with a blanket. About how much longer will it take?

I moved the beer to a room that stays about 70 and I covered it with a blanket. About how much longer will it take?

Try a bottle in a week. Be sure to put it in the fridge for at least a day, and preferably two, before drinking to get the CO2 in the headspace dissolved in the beer. If still too flat, try again in another week. Repeat until carb is where you like it, and then move back to cooler storage.

Brew on :mug:

Give the beer at least another two weeks of conditioning, if the beers are about 1.052 or less, after they have warmed. Gently invert the bottles to suspend the yeast after a few days of warming. Most of the yeast may have dropped out being cool for awhile.

Back