flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sime13w

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA kit from brewers best. Hit the OG and FG on the money everything went smooth. I think i accidently left it in the laundry room already bottled and the temperature was too high about 80 degrees with my dryer on.

While drinking the beer it is great at first but then towards the end it gets really flat. Any reason that maybe happening? Did the heat make it lose its carb?

what and how much did you use for bottle priming? how long as it been conditioning? and lastly, is it carbed up and bubbling away when you first pour then becomes flat as you drink it? i didn't really understand that, how it changes over the course of drinking.

I used all of the priming sugar that came with the extract kit. Conditioned for 2 weeks and when i initially pour it you can tell that it is carbed but after 5-10 min it goes really flat.

Let it bottle condition another week. It sounds like the carbonation is not fully absorbed into the beer. I suspect that another week or 2 might result in more stable carbonation.

Few things on my mind that can cause flat beer:

- yeast deficit: this is unlikely except you filtered beer and removed yeast.. I doubt it
- priming: did you calculate amount of priming sugar? If not there can be lack of sugar in bottles to achieve desired CO2 volume
- temperature: obv. not a problem since you stored your bottles @80F, it wont kill the yeast
- time: 2 weeks at this temperature should be enough
- bottle caps: are they sealing properly
- mixing priming solution w/beer: this can be a problem if you mix sugar in bottling bucket and don't ensure that it mixes well with beer. Open few more bottles to eliminate this reason

I brewed an IPA kit from brewers best. Hit the OG and FG on the money everything went smooth. I think i accidently left it in the laundry room already bottled and the temperature was too high about 80 degrees with my dryer on.

While drinking the beer it is great at first but then towards the end it gets really flat. Any reason that maybe happening? Did the heat make it lose its carb?

Are you meaning head retention? After you pour into glass it loses its head.

Give it another week, and when that's done make sure to refrigerate the bottles for a few days before trying again.

Back