Flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eglidec

Reaction score
A friend gave me a very basic beginners beer making kit and i tried it out and made several batches at about 7 plastic bottles per batch. I followed the instructions and the beer never really had any head to it. It tasted fine but no head.
I even let it sit in the bottles for several months and still no head.
I remember helping my dad make beer in the 1960s and 70s with a large crock and big can of Blue Ribbon Malt and cakes of live yeast and it was the best beer ever.
The Blue Ribbon Malt isn't made anymore, but would cakes of live yeast help?

What kit are you using? What plastic bottles? Are you priming the bottles for carbonation? Can you give us a rundown of your process?

With 7 plastic (I'm asuming 1 liter) bottles I'm guessing Mr. Beer. In addition to carnevoodoos questions, how old was the kit/yeast if you know?

I agree with others. Does not appear that sound brewing practices are being followed, so less than stellar results are produced.

On a different note, Blue Ribbon Malt Extract IS still being made, one of the factories is in Michigan....It is now know as Premier Malt Extract, and several people are playing with it on here...there is a thread devoted to it here.

Premier Malt Extract.

But we really need to know more about your bottling process, in order to help you.

Back