Flat beer in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianinpa

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale and put some in a small keg, but, had extra, so, I bottled the rest. It made about 10 bottles and I used Fizz drops. I checked after 2 weeks and it was flat. It has now been 5 weeks and still flat. Can I do something to try and carbonate these?? I was thinking of either opening each bottle, throw another FizzDrop in and wait another 3 weeks. Or, I can make some priming sugar, open each bottle and add some and then wait the 3 weeks? Anyone have suggestions as to what I can do or the right way to go about this?

Damian

capped tightly or flip tops? Kept warm ("72F, 21 days" is the mantra)?

You can open and reprime, yes. Likely to increase chances of O2 and infection of course, but yes you can reprime.

How many fizz drops did you put in per bottle, and what size are the bottles? If you've already added the correct amount, don't add more. From what I read, you should add one fizz drop per 12 oz bottle and two per 22 oz or 750 mL bottle. If you put too much priming sugar in the bottles and yeast start to consume it, you will have over carbonated beer or possibly bottle bombs. Adding fresh yeast in this case may be a better option to carbonate the bottles.

I used 1 fizzdrop per 12 oz bottle. So, I decided to just make some priming sugar. Added about 10ml per bottle and I'll test again in 2 weeks. No bottle bombs after a few days, so, hopefully o.k.

I used 1 fizzdrop per 12 oz bottle. So, I decided to just make some priming sugar. Added about 10ml per bottle and I'll test again in 2 weeks. No bottle bombs after a few days, so, hopefully o.k.
Any updates about how the beer turned out? I have this same problem and need advice

Back