Flat Ass Tired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnoyes

Reaction score
This recipe has been mentioned here before, but it's from the Hophead on the green board, and it is reportedly extremely close to Fat Tire. I need some help converting the recipe to partial mash. Do I consider the amber malt to be enzymatic, or non-enzymatic? I have a maximum capacity for the PM of 4lbs, so it'll be tough if it's non-enzymatic.

Thanks for any help.

Flat Ass Tired

Brew Type: All Grain
Style: American Amber Ale
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Assistant Brewer: Beer Wench
Boil Volume: 6.5 gal Boil Time: 90 min

Ingredients
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3 SRM) Grain 58.5 %
2.00 lb Amber Malt (22 SRM) Grain 19.5 % (2lbs Pale malt oven toasted at 350 degrees for 30 minutes)
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9 SRM) Grain 9.8 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23 SRM) Grain 4.9 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.25 lb Special Roast (50 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.5%] (60 min) Hops 22.8 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.5%] (30 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.5%] (15 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.5%] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [Starter 1000 ml]

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.058 SG (1.045-1.056 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.010-1.015 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Color: 12 SRM (11-18 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 37.2 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.4 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.7 % (4.5-5.7 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.1 %

Hophead is a hell of a nice guy and a hell of a brewer. I've tasted some of his brews and he knows his stuff. That is probaly the best recipe around for that beer but you will have to compromise as an extract brewer. Yes, amber malt will retain some diastatic power but the toasting process will reduce it significantly.

For your 4 lb PM I would go with the 2 lbs of amber, a lb of Munich and a lb of pale malt. You can get by with steeping the Biscuit, crystals and special roast malts. Then just use whatever amount of light extract you need to get the OG to the correct starting point.

BigEd said:
Hophead is a hell of a nice guy and a hell of a brewer. I've tasted some of his brews and he knows his stuff. That is probaly the best recipe around for that beer but you will have to compromise as an extract brewer. Yes, amber malt will retain some diastatic power but the toasting process will reduce it significantly.

For your 4 lb PM I would go with the 2 lbs of amber, a lb of Munich and a lb of pale malt. You can get by with steeping the Biscuit, crystals and special roast malts. Then just use whatever amount of light extract you need to get the OG to the correct starting point.

Thanks for the advice.

What if I replace the Munich with extract (AHS's is 20% Munich), put the biscuit, crystal, and special roast in the mash, and add a pound of 6-row instead of pale malt, for extra enzymes? Would that be better, or will I get the same effect from steeping those specialty malts listed?

cnoyes said:
Thanks for the advice.

What if I replace the Munich with extract (AHS's is 20% Munich), put the biscuit, crystal, and special roast in the mash, and add a pound of 6-row instead of pale malt, for extra enzymes? Would that be better, or will I get the same effect from steeping those specialty malts listed?

You don't need any extra enzymes. I would keep the Munich. The amber should have enough to convert itself and if not the pale malt will have plenty. The specialty malts don't need starch conversion.

Another question: I'm guessing I have to toast the malt whole. Which means I'll have to crush it by hand, right? Is the rolling pin and a ziploc method acceptable?

cnoyes said:
Another question: I'm guessing I have to toast the malt whole. Which means I'll have to crush it by hand, right? Is the rolling pin and a ziploc method acceptable?

If that's all you have it will have to do. Crush it the best you can.

Back