Flat and Tasty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MULE

Reaction score
It's been three weeks since I bottled my IPA. I popped the cap off one yesterday. Tastes great but there was barely a bubble in the glass. This is the first batch we've brewed where it didn't carbonate after three weeks. This also the biggest beer we've brewed. The OG was 1.090 and the FG was 1.021. I'm going to let the remainder of the batch sit until the end of April.

The real reason I bring this up is that I plan to brew a bigger beer next week. Is it safe to say that bigger beers need a lot more time to bottle condition? Is there an ABV limit I shouldn't cross when planning to bottle condition?

No, just a bit impatient. You're on the East coast.

I generally plan two months plus an extra month per % ABV over 5%. So, a 12% barleywine would a minimum of 9 months.

david_42 said:
No, just a bit impatient. You're on the East coast.

I generally plan two months plus an extra month per % ABV over 5%. So, a 12% barleywine would a minimum of 9 months.
True and thanks

Back