flat after 2 weeks in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosschk

Working on a good one.....
Reaction score
I'm on my second brew. I bottled my beer and let it sit for 2 weeks. I had it in the fridge for a day. I know the taste will not be there yet, but I would assume after 2 weeks there would be some kind of head.

The taste was ok, but it was almost flat.

The kit was the Mr.beer Classic American Light
I primed in the bottles.
The bottles were coopers PET
I used sugar as the primer.

I'm thinking I either didnt use enough primer (I dont recall how much I used, I know I'm starting a log today), or the caps we not tight enough.

When I sanitized the bottles I did not have the caps on would that have had some effect.

Will this improve with time in the fridge, or is this batch done for?

For grins and giggles, I have one of those sodastream soda makers. Could I use that to fizz em up before I drink em :)

Not knowing how much sugar you used but you stated almost flat meaning there was at least some carbonation. General rule is 3 weeks minimum conditioning at 70 degrees. After that put one in the fridge for 48 hrs then crack one. I suggest wait it out.

I rinsed in the solution that came with the kit

Shake the bottles up a but and let them sit another weeks. Also, keep them in a fairly warm (72F) area. Carbonation will occur.

I wouldn't expect anything else at two weeks....The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

As jonnyp1980 said, bottle condition your beers near 70 degrees for at least 2 weeks then chill and try one. If it is not carbonated wait another week and try another. If it is still not ready wait another week.

If you had no leaks and used the proper amount of priming sugar they will carbonate eventually.

Some batches will take longer than others.

I have had some that were carbonated in 2 weeks and some took 4 or more.
ALL of them tasted better after 3 weeks.

Ok, what if the whole batch is in the frige already?

I would pull the batch out of the fridge and wait another 2 weeks or so. As DannyD said you'll be waiting even longer if you keep in. When I bottle it typically takes about 3 to 4 weeks to have a descent carbonated brew.

Just my 0.2.

crosschk said:
I hyperthetically took it out. I will wait a week an put 1 in the fridge....

Thanks eveyone :mug:

Make sure after they reach room temp to tilt or shake the bottles to get the yeast active.

Back