Flash Chiller Coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Striker169

Reaction score
I got a flash chiller this weekend, but it is missing the coil inside, I was wondering if anyone knew if anyone sells a square stainles steel coil or if it would be hard to make one....?

That sounds right. It wouldn't be difficult to make a coil of stainless or copper to rehab the jockey box.

Yeah its sort of like a jocky box, but you plug it in so you dont have to have ice, it cools itself, you just add water and it creates an ice bank.

But back to the question does anyone know if anyone sells a square coil? Or is it possible to just go to home depot and buy stainless steal pipe and make it yourself? Any info on bending the pipe and how to put fittings on the end?

Why square? It would be most difficult to make a square coil. A round coil would be doable DIY w/o special equipment. Square coil sounds tricky and time consuming.

That is what the inside looks like, the edges are where it gets the coldest, so that is why I was thinking that a square would work the best....

It actually looks like a glycol chiller/reservoir to me, but I don't know for sure.

I tend to agree. You can see what appears to be the inlet and outlet ports for glycol lines on the top edge. I think I understand what the OP meant by a square coil. The tubing itself would not have a square cross section, but the overall shape of the coil would be square (or more accurately, rectangular). What scares me a little are what look like wire nuts making electrical connections in the water/ice chamber. Maybe that's not what I'm seeing or it's only low voltage current, but it's something to check out for sure. Whomever sold it should be able to provide some information on what it was or is.

So, to answer the tubing question. Tubing typically comes in a large coil and it can be bent to any shape desired. The corner bends could be made using a good tubing bender which you can buy at Home Depot etc, although I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble. The whole chamber appears to be relatively small. Might work OK for one or two taps providing you aren't serving the beer continuously. I could also be all wet on this, so don't base anything on my post. Just thinking out loud a little.

The two wires are apparently for an agitator but are low voltage and you dont fill the tank up that high, about 3-4 inches away from it. The previous owner doesnt know much about it as he thought it was complete and you just put your hose in it, and that obviously wouldnt work very well.

Back