Flander's Red and Brown Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
I'm more and more digging into sour beers, and I'm now ready to real great stuff.
Here's the plan for a 10 gallons and 5 gallons batch of Flander's Red and Flander's (big) Brown.

Part 1 - Brewing the first 5 gallons part of Flander's Red (Richard 2)

2.65 lbs Pilsner
2.65 lbs Vienna
2.00 lbs Munich
2.00 lbs Flaked Corn
1.00 lb Honey Malt
0.50 lb Wheat malt
0.50 lb Special-B

1oz Saaz 60'

OG 1055 - IBUs 13.5

Fermented with both a pack of us05 and a vial of WLP665 - Flemish
Stay in primary for 4 months.

Part 2 - Racking off Richard 2 and Brewing Richard 2.5

Basically, racking of Richard 2 from the dregs into a secondary vessel for aging with a bit of oak. Then brew the extact recipe that I dump on the yeast cake, and adding another us05 pack and another wlp665 vial.

Stay in primary for 4 months again.

Part 3 - Racking off Richard 2.5

Richard 2.5 is going to be more sour than Richard 2 because of the numerous culture of bugs. I rack it off the cake again and both Richard 2 and Richard 2.5 are going to age in secondary for 12 to 18 months before blending them prior to bottling.

It's not the end of the yeast cake!

Part 4 - Richard 3

Richard 3 is the Flander's brown. Note that it will be completly fermented with saccharomyces (WLP500 - Trappist) before pitching on the cake, this time. Here's the recipe.

5.75 lb Pilsner
2.87 lb Vienna
2.87 lb Munich
1.00 lb Wheat malt
1.00 lb Special-B
1.00 lb Dark Candi Syrup

2 oz Saaz 60'

OG 1070 - IBUs 24

Fermented completly with WLP500 Trappist (1 week) before pitching it on the yeast cake for a few weeks then rack it off again for extended aging.

Sooooo this is the project! :mug:

Sounds fun!

Over the past 2 months i have managed to brew 35 gallons of sour and wild beer. More than half of that will be sitting around for a year or so.

Stupid waiting....

Sounds fun!

Over the past 2 months i have managed to brew 35 gallons of sour and wild beer. More than half of that will be sitting around for a year or so.

Stupid waiting....

Yhea, stupid waiting. I try to brew a sour every few months, even If I don't see the results, I say to my self than in a year or two, I will have a nice selection of different sours to blend and drink! And then I will be proud of myself to have brew them 1 or 2 years before.

Sad I know. The last batch of oud bruin I made I kegged because I didn't feel like bottling. Sat in the keg for many months, and then hit the grass. I already have so much sour beer. I made a couple large batches of berliner weisse too, dumped some, bottled some. I'm completely done making sours for a long time.

You definitely can overdo this stuff.

Sad I know. The last batch of oud bruin I made I kegged because I didn't feel like bottling. Sat in the keg for many months, and then hit the grass. I already have so much sour beer. I made a couple large batches of berliner weisse too, dumped some, bottled some. I'm completely done making sours for a long time.

You definitely can overdo this stuff.

I can easily drink a couple litres of 3% abv berliner a day when it's hot here, I bet i could drink a gallon in Florida. I'm assuming you weren't 100% happy with the beers you dumped?

I can easily drink a couple litres of 3% abv berliner a day when it's hot here, I bet i could drink a gallon in Florida. I'm assuming you weren't 100% happy with the beers you dumped?

The red is very good, the berliner OK, the brown no so much. I just have zero interest in any of those flavors. I even opened a Russian River Consecration recently and couldn't drink it.

And me that can't find any bottle of it here... :mad:

It's really good if you can find it. BTW, I'm digging your project. I hope you can stick to it and keep us updated. The best way (what I did) is put your fermenters away where they are hard to get to. I shoved them into the back of a cabinet behind a bunch of other stuff. If you're brewing other things, you'll stop thinking about it altogether. Just check the airlock once in a while.

I add red food coloring to my starsan so that I can see it in the airlock, even in dim light.

It's really good if you can find it. BTW, I'm digging your project. I hope you can stick to it and keep us updated. The best way (what I did) is put your fermenters away where they are hard to get to. I shoved them into the back of a cabinet behind a bunch of other stuff. If you're brewing other things, you'll stop thinking about it altogether. Just check the airlock once in a while.

I add red food coloring to my starsan so that I can see it in the airlock, even in dim light.

I think that's the way to go. I already have a fruit lambic on the go. I have so many projects, time flies, I'll easily forget them. The longest part will be the year or so after all three are brewed.

Back