Flander's brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhatchable

Reaction score
So inspired by the last thread about the unintentional "infected" brown, I decided to make a sour brown. I am probably going to start this one two weeks from today. I wrote my recipe, crunched the numbers, and am going to pitch white labs high gravity yeast, then once the primary slows then pitch either white labs 655 or 677 (descriptions follow)

655 Belgian sour mix
A unique blend perfect for Belgian style beers. Includes Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus.

677 Lactobacillus delbrueckii
This lactic acid bacteria produces moderate levels of acidity and sour flavors found in lambics, Berliner Weiss, sour brown ale and gueze.

My recipe is going to be 7.9% abv, so now just trying to decide which "wild culture" to use. I think i've heard that the lacto is intolerant of high alcohol, but can't really substantiate that anywhere. But I'm not sure if the mix with brett would be overkill on the sour... please weigh in, especially if you've brewed a similar or even another sour. thanks

What is your recipe? In particular your IBUs and OG.

If I were you, I might really consider the lambic blend culture for the secondary. This is a mix of lacto pedio and brett, plus a sherry yeast (I believe) that will help clean up any remaining simple sugars after primary.

for 7.5 gallons

7lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract
5lbs German Two-row Pils
3lbs Flaked Corn (Maize)
1lb Caramunich Malt
1lb Caravienne Malt
8oz Special Roast
8oz Special B Malt
4oz Roasted Barley

1.0 oz vanguard 90 mins
1.0 oz glacier 60 mins

short primary with wl super high grav.
then secondary with ?

1.069 og
1.012 fg
18 srm
23.1 ibu
7.6 abv

or should I just boil the wort, chill it to pitching temp, then just leave in my fermenter without and airlock and let nature take its course? After some period of time I'm sure I'd get some sour critters in there

If it were me i wouldn't use WLP099 as the primary yeast. I hear it can throw some wild off flavors if used alone. It is most commonly used to supplement a really high gravity beer after the normal yeast has pooped out and most of the flavors are established.

7.9% isn't terribly high gravity so if you want to use a primary yeast, use S-05, WLP001, or WY1056 for the neutral flavor and then use the souring bugs. If you want something on the more sour side just use WLP655 or Wyeast Rosilare as the only yeast.

The Flanders Brown I brewed in Jan. I used 1056 as the primary and WLP655 in the secondary. Its been in the secondary for 8 months and is looking real funky. Haven't tasted it yet but I'm very hopeful.

I would pitch the sour blend, I wouldnt expect it to get too tart, although I like very sour beers

I would not suggest using the lacto, both WL and WY lacto strains are horribly intolerant of IBU's, anything approaching ~10IBU's and Ive gotten zero sourness from either

ok, so pitch the 655 blend and just forget about it for the better part of a year? Ryane should I think about lowering the ibU and just leave out the 60 min hop addition? that brings ibu down to 11.4

Back