Flakes of grain in boiling kettle

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HutBrew

Reaction score
My sparge got stuck on a pilsner I was making, and it spilled a good amount of milled grain into my boiling kettle. I vorlofed again until clear, but it was too late. Fished out what I could with a fine mesh strainer, but there inevitably was flakes floating in the kettle.
I went ahead and finished the fly sparge and the rest of my brew day.
Just curious how the beer may or may not turn out because of this.
I will always be using rice hulls from now on!
Thanks for your input folks!
F766C215-2EC0-4E26-A90A-6D26EBA40BF7.jpeg

Panderson1

Reaction score
I used to worry about that. But ever since brewing with the Brewzilla 65L I get a ton of flakes/grains in the boil after mashing/sparge.... I mean A LOT. Haven't notice any off flavors and the past 5 batches have been my best tasting brews yet. Cold crashing takes care of anything floating around.

OP
HutBrew

HutBrew

Reaction score
I used to worry about that. But ever since brewing with the Brewzilla 65L I get a ton of flakes/grains in the boil after mashing/sparge.... I mean A LOT. Haven't notice any off flavors and the past 5 batches have been my best tasting brews yet. Cold crashing takes care of anything floating around.
Sweet, I was a little worried about those tannins i’ve read about but I won’t lose any sleep over it now.

Thanks!

Panderson1

Reaction score
After washing decoction mashing videos, I stopped worrying about tannins a long time ago.

micraftbeer

Reaction score
I'll echo the sentiment you'll be fine. Your picture doesn't even look bad.

Probably the worst that will happen is you won't have good repeatability of that recipe (for better or worse) next time.

OP
HutBrew

HutBrew

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!
I plan on cold crashing then gelatin fining in 2-3 weeks, then into the keg!
Glad the batch will be okay- sharing this one with the friends during a camping trip in June.

Biggz1313

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet, I was a little worried about those tannins i’ve read about but I won’t lose any sleep over it now.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Just remember, tannins are typically a product of pH, not temperature. I use the spike solo+ all in one system and regularly have grain in my boil, no issues at all. Also, as @Panderson1 mentions, decoction mashing is literally boiling part of mash, and no issues there.