Flakes of grain in boiling kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HutBrew

Reaction score
My sparge got stuck on a pilsner I was making, and it spilled a good amount of milled grain into my boiling kettle. I vorlofed again until clear, but it was too late. Fished out what I could with a fine mesh strainer, but there inevitably was flakes floating in the kettle.
I went ahead and finished the fly sparge and the rest of my brew day.
Just curious how the beer may or may not turn out because of this.
I will always be using rice hulls from now on!
Thanks for your input folks!
F766C215-2EC0-4E26-A90A-6D26EBA40BF7.jpeg

I used to worry about that. But ever since brewing with the Brewzilla 65L I get a ton of flakes/grains in the boil after mashing/sparge.... I mean A LOT. Haven't notice any off flavors and the past 5 batches have been my best tasting brews yet. Cold crashing takes care of anything floating around.

I used to worry about that. But ever since brewing with the Brewzilla 65L I get a ton of flakes/grains in the boil after mashing/sparge.... I mean A LOT. Haven't notice any off flavors and the past 5 batches have been my best tasting brews yet. Cold crashing takes care of anything floating around.

Sweet, I was a little worried about those tannins i’ve read about but I won’t lose any sleep over it now.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies!
I plan on cold crashing then gelatin fining in 2-3 weeks, then into the keg!
Glad the batch will be okay- sharing this one with the friends during a camping trip in June.

Sweet, I was a little worried about those tannins i’ve read about but I won’t lose any sleep over it now.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Just remember, tannins are typically a product of pH, not temperature. I use the spike solo+ all in one system and regularly have grain in my boil, no issues at all. Also, as @Panderson1 mentions, decoction mashing is literally boiling part of mash, and no issues there.

Back