flaked wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a wit first thing Friday morning and any advice would be much appreciated.

I always thought that flaked adjuncts were to be used essentially as-is, by which I mean I thought they didn't have to be milled, ground, etc. But today I was talking to someone and he said he puts his flaked wheat in a food processor for a few seconds, which he said really helps his efficiency.

I'm planning on doing a cereal mash and all that, but should I grind my flaked wheat before using it?

Thanks!

It's unnecessary. Flaked grains have already been milled during the flaking process. That's how they got so flat. ;) A cereal mash is also not necessary with flaked grains. They have been subjected to moisture and heat during processing and have already been gelantinized. Just mix them well with your milled malted grains and mash away.

Thanks for the info, BigEd.

So I don't need to do a cereal mash for the flaked wheat. How about for the flaked oats? Same deal?

Flaked grains turn to goo and mostly dissolve as soon as they hit the hot water and you stir. I have never even seen them in the leftover grain, they are completely GONE.

They really did disappear. It was pretty amazing, actually. Thanks for the advice.

This has to be one of my smoothest brew days yet... I've been hitting all of my temperatures within 1.0°F... SWMBO isn't complaining about the brewery smells. Feels pretty good. :)

Back