Flaked Wheat addition to Mini-mash recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Round3r

Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster here.
Before I start, thank you all for helping me through the beginning stages of brewing. I learned alot just reading your posts, and am now ready to start asking my own questions =)

Anywho,
I just ordered the Texas Blonde Ale Mini-mash from AHS and am wondering about an addition of flaked wheat for head retention / body during the mini-mash itself.

I was wondering,

1.) Do I need to modify the amount of grains or DME to compensate for the flaked wheat? Or should I just add it to the current recipe?

2.) Will adding flaked wheat give me what I am looking for?

3.) If so, How much flaked wheat should I add?

I wish I could post the entire recipe for you, but AHS does not post the ingredient amount on the website.

Thanks everyone.

This is really unhelpful for your current problem, but you should pick up a copy of designing great beer by daniels and make your own recipes. It's pretty hard to know how a new ingredient will affect your recipe if you don't know what's in your recipe to begin with.

Thanks for the book reference. I will look into adding it to one of my upcoming orders.

I can understand how, without a recipe posted, it would be difficult if not impossible to answer my 3rd question.

I feel that maybe someone can possibly answer at least question #1....

It is hard to find info on the addition of flaked wheat to an already laid out recipe. Most info is just on recipies that already contain it.

Here are the fermentables for the AHS Texas Blonde Ale "Dry" Mini-Mash.

Mini-Mash -
Dry:
2 lb Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Corn Sugar
3 lb Base Grains

Now would the addition or substitution of flaked wheat aid in better head retention and mouthfeel?

If so, how would you go about including it in this recipe?

Just weigh, record, and toss it in. You won't ruin the beer, and you can always change the recipe next time.

Back