Flaked oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinasek

Reaction score
Hi there,

Again i have doubts and question that i guess has been answered 100 times but i just want to be sure.

I want to make Left Hand Stout Clone and it requires Flakes Oats, all i can find is Whole Grain Quick Flaked Oats. As far as i am understood that should be same thing and i hope that same goes for Flaked Barley.

Am i right?

Thanks,
rinasek

P.S. Someone should really build some kind of wiki for these kind of questions, i really need to consider that :)

What I've used in the past is Quaker unflavored oatmeal. And you can spread it on a cookie sheet and toast them to your liking if you wish. :mug:

Quaker quick oats are perfect for "flaked oats", if you can find it. Otherwise, you can use things like steel cut oats, but cook them first!

Flaked barley is generally only available in homebrew stores, but maybe health food stores would carry it as well.

In a pinch you can sub in pearled barley from the grocery store for flaked barley. My local sells it in bulk for 1.29/lb.

I use store brand quick oats exclusively in recipes that call for flaked oats. Makse sure you use quick oats or, like Yooper said, you will need a cereal mash.

Another vote for Quaker Quick Oats. They've already been steamed and pre-gelatinized, so they're ready to go directly into the mash for conversion.

Just for info. Both the quick and regular rolled oats have been steamed before they are rolled. Quick oats do get more steam and are rolled thinner so they will work better for beer. But even the regular rolled oats were well steamed before being rolled. They are rolled with the rollers at a thicker setting though.

Steel cut on the other hand would need a mash as they are not steamed.

And keep you fingers away from the cutting machine for steel cut oats. Stubby, the plant manager will tell you all about it.

That year I spent as a maintenance manager at an oat processing plant finally come in handy.

Steel cut on the other hand would need a mash as they are not steamed.

Hang on - they all need to be mashed, not just steel cut, right?

The flaked oats have simply already been steamed, gelatinizing the starches, making them available to the enzymes during the mash.

Steel cut oats have not, thus adding them to the mash as-is would not achieve any meaningful conversion from them. You'd have to basically "cook" them first, right? Isn't this the same as the difference between using Minute Rice (which has already had its starches gelatinized and can be added straight into the mash) and plain, uncooked rice, which must be at least partially cooked before you can mash with it?

Hang on - they all need to be mashed, not just steel cut, right?

The flaked oats have simply already been steamed, gelatinizing the starches, making them available to the enzymes during the mash.

Steel cut oats have not, thus adding them to the mash as-is would not achieve any meaningful conversion from them. You'd have to basically "cook" them first, right? Isn't this the same as the difference between using Minute Rice (which has already had its starches gelatinized and can be added straight into the mash) and plain, uncooked rice, which must be at least partially cooked before you can mash with it?

Thanks for the correction. You are totally correct.

Thanks for info, luckily same store that has flaked oats has flaked barley so i will go with that.

Latest posts

Back