flaked oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
So I tried using some oats in a wheat beer. Though I took a taste test of the wort after the OG reading it was kind of astringent. Is this cause of the oats? Who used them before? I read they can give this flavor which I did not know before hand. If this is so wouldd it go away......

I hop that is the case. I didn't use high alpha acid hops though. I used saaz 4%. Guess ill wait and see this one out. Was thinking of doin it over without the oats

You "hop" that is the case? No pun intended? Anyway, for me, the wort is always really bitter until the yeast does it's job. I recently made an oatmeal stout and did not taste any abnormal astringency in the wort... At least nothing out of the ordinary. I'm kegging that brew tomorrow.

Yeah lol funny I wrote it that way. Using my phone so sometimes ill mess up the typing.

I have no problem with flaked oats. I mash them not steep them. I have never noticed any harsh astringency from them.

I've used them several times before, also with no astringent character. It could be your hopping, could be a high mash pH, could just be green beer. I wouldn't worry unless it was super intense.

Actually, the oats should provide the opposite of astringency, which is a silky, oily mouthfeel...

Nice guys I love the feedback. Just read about thebitter taste about the oats from the stout description on wikipedia lol. Hopefully that's not the case. Just tasted some after taking my OG and got a kind of bitterness too it. Maybe its the hops though I used a low alpha acid saaz at 4%. Well only time will tell. Gotta love the whole waiting thing lol.

Back