Flaked Maize in Extract Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedSquash

Reaction score
I have never used corn in any of my beers, but I am doing a pumpkin ale that I want to keep on the dry side, and I figured flaked maize would be appropriate to the holiday. So my question is this, when and how do I incorporate it? Obviously I'm not doing a mash, but I have a little over a pound of specialty grains. Do I add the corn with my specialty gains at 154º? Or do I do them at a separate temperature on their own? I've read that you need grain for enzymes, so will specialty grains suffice?

Almost all specialty grains have been toasted/roasted enough that there are no enzymes left. The remainder can convert themselves, but can't convert other grains. You'd be better off using some corn sugar to dry the batch out.

Mini-mashes aren't much harder than steeping, so you could add a pound of 2-row and mash at 154F for an hour.

Back