Flaked Maize extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
Experts: Please verify what I have researched.

Uusing flaked Maize requires a mash. I am still an extract brewer. My plan was to steep the maize with an equal amout of 6row for about an hour at 155-165 degrees then proceed with the extract brewing.

Thoughts?

Quick question, are you using maize to dry out the beer? If so, you'd be better served using corn sugar. Specialty grains aren't going to produce many enzymes. If you are set on maize then I suggest a partial mash. That is a good method to do what you want to do and it is easy.
Check out this thread. A seasoned brewer/member has really done a lot of work to explain the process.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Yep, that's a partial mash. You should hold the temp between about 148-158 though. 165 is too hot.

I am not just trying to dry out the beer, I was hoping the maize might add a little to the flavor. I plan on making a very light beer with minute hopping for hot summer days with BMC friends.

Back