Flaked Maize Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spagnot

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of flaked maize the other day and wanted to experiment with it. I figured I could try to make an all corn based alcohol drink with it. Preferably non carbonated and high abv. I plan to add powered corn sugar to increase gravity/abv as it ferments and to in the end make it somewhat sweet. Turbo yeast will be used.
Can I do a mash of the maize in hot water to get sugars from the starch or will I have to add some sort of malted barely to the mash for conversion? Or is flaked maize already converted I don't know.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Flaked maize needs to be mashed with a base malt. And everything I've ever read says not to exceed 2lb per 5 gallon batch. It almost sounds like you are trying to make un-distilled moonshine?

Can I do a mash of the maize in hot water to get sugars from the starch or will I have to add some sort of malted barely to the mash for conversion?

you will not get sugars from corn starch if there is no enzyme to convert: you need malted barley to add, or use some ptyalin enzymes that help the conversion of corn starch in simply sugars:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicha

Flaked maize needs to be mashed with a base malt. And everything I've ever read says not to exceed 2lb per 5 gallon batch. It almost sounds like you are trying to make un-distilled moonshine?

Thanks. I will probably find a light color malt to add to the maize so it doesn't impart much flavor to it. I probably won't find sprouted corn to use instead.

Latest posts

Back