Flaked Corn VS. Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' rummie

Reaction score
I'm making a cream ale soon, and was wondering if I could use corn sugar instead of flaked corn, I don't really think there would be much difference since neither contibute any flavor.?

Mashed Corn = maltose
Corn Sugar = Glucose

These two are not interchangeable and would make a dramatically different beer.

I have read that corn can contribute flavor. See Cream of Three Crops thread

There is a distinct difference. Both reduce body to the extent they're used as part of the grist, but flaked maize also imparts a subtle flavor. Corn sugar - which is dextrose, not glucose - is completely fermentable, so it imparts nothing (except yeast feed).

Bob

Flaked corn definitely adds flavor to the brew. Using corn sugar will give you a drier, less tasty beer.

Then corn sugar isn't what I want in a cream ale, it probably won't have the same mouthfeel etc.
I can't get any flaked corn around here by the weekend, but I read that corn meal or grits will work just as well, as long as you cook them first. Am I right to assume that 1lb of flaked corn = 1lb of grits or meal(uncooked)?

Then corn sugar isn't what I want in a cream ale, it probably won't have the same mouthfeel etc.
I can't get any flaked corn around here by the weekend, but I read that corn meal or grits will work just as well, as long as you cook them first. Am I right to assume that 1lb of flaked corn = 1lb of grits or meal(uncooked)?

Grab some Instant Grits, they are mash ready as they are pre-gelatinized. and yes, replace them 1:1 IIRC

Back