flaked barley question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedub

Reaction score
Ok so I picked up a stout kit from my LHBS.

here is the recipe.
6.6# (2 cans) Dark Liquid Malt Extract (LME)

1# Crushed Pale Malt
0.5# Crushed Roasted Barley
1# Flaked Barley

1.5 oz. Northern Brewer

The instructions say to steep all the grains for 20 minutes or until water reaches 170F. No I have been reading that you gain nothing from steeping flaked barley. If that is true why would the shop give it out in the kit? Also if I want to fully utilize it how do I go about doing so given that I don't have an all grain setup.

The flaked barley I believe is for the thick head retention on a stout. I would steep the grains for 20 min at 165-170. if you do not have a muslin bag big enough to steep in you can steep loosely in a pot and then strain the grains from the mash by pouring through a fine strainer. It will leave more sediment behind but if you don't have a bag that is the best way.

I have 2 muslin bags for this kit it just worries me that everywhere I read people say you need to mash with a base malt (which I don't have).

You're really not using the flaked barley for fermentables, so you dont need to mash it. You are just going to steep it for the proteins that aid in head rentention and mouthfeel. You'll be fine

Ok so I picked up a stout kit from my LHBS.

here is the recipe.
6.6# (2 cans) Dark Liquid Malt Extract (LME)

1# Crushed Pale Malt
0.5# Crushed Roasted Barley
1# Flaked Barley

1.5 oz. Northern Brewer

The instructions say to steep all the grains for 20 minutes or until water reaches 170F. No I have been reading that you gain nothing from steeping flaked barley. If that is true why would the shop give it out in the kit? Also if I want to fully utilize it how do I go about doing so given that I don't have an all grain setup.

There is pale malt in the mix so there is going to be a little mashing going on. You are correct in that steeping flaked barley alone or without any base malt accomplishes nothing other than to get it wet. As why it is so often included in extract steeping grains; it makes beginners feel good and half the HBS people who put the recipes together probably don't understand that flakes need to be mashed. FWIW I would modify those instructions a bit, bring the grains to ~150F and leave them there for 30 minutes. After that time remove them letting the runoff drip into your kettle, apply further heat and the other ingredients to the boil. :mug:

My LHBS is also the local brewery so I hope there would be a reason for flaked barley in the recipe.

Back