fizzy wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holygrale

Reaction score
i have a 5 week old apflewein and a 6 week old pinot from a vitners reserve kit....both taste fizzy (like ginger ale) to me....is that because there still young and/or need to be racked?

thanx

When yeast eat sugar, they release CO2, carbonation. Check to see if it is still fermenting with your hydrometer. If it isn't (the same reading over a period of 2-3 days), then the liquid has a absorbed the CO2. You especially hear about mead makers degassing their stuff. People have all sorts of ways of getting the air out.

Edit: that is, if you don't like it fizzy...

neither have bubbbled for a couple weeks

i degassed the pinot about 2-3 weeks ago (as instructed by the kit directions)

think i should attempt degassing again?

If you have the patience, I'd advise bulk aging in a carboy under and airlock for several months.

definately dont mind waiting (as long as it improves).....was just trying to figure out if waiting will fix my problem, or if thres something else i need to do (or not do next time)

definately dont mind waiting (as long as it improves).....was just trying to figure out if waiting will fix my problem, or if thres something else i need to do (or not do next time)

If you've already degassed the kit, you may have just not degassed enough. It doesn't matter, though, if you're willing to wait. One thing to keep in mind is that it degasses better at a warmer temperature. So, if you've got it in the basement at 55 degrees, it won't degas very quickly at all. If it's at 72 degrees, it'll degas naturally during bulk aging. So, as summersoltice said, if you've got the patience (and the temperature isn't too cool), it'll degas while it's aging in the carboy with an airlock.

I work at a winery, and i would say to do what the last guy said. Just give it some time, and warmer temp. How long was fermentation? and how long have you had it?

Back