Fizzy Raspberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
After a number of meads that haven't killed anyone yet swmbo has finally put in a request for "raspberry fizz". Ok so I'm guessing a mix of berrys and either sugar or honey will get the job done, and I will look though the forums for a recipe closer to the time. What I'm interested in knowing is how should I go about carbonating? I guess I will need champaign bottles? Is priming sugar the way to go or bottle at a certain SG?

After a number of meads that haven't killed anyone yet swmbo has finally put in a request for "raspberry fizz". Ok so I'm guessing a mix of berrys and either sugar or honey will get the job done, and I will look though the forums for a recipe closer to the time. What I'm interested in knowing is how should I go about carbonating? I guess I will need champaign bottles? Is priming sugar the way to go or bottle at a certain SG?

Priming sugar in a champagne bottle (or beer bottles for smaller quantities!) is needed. I'd start with a low OG, as a high ABV raspberry fizz would be terrible! Start at maybe 1.050 and let it ferment out. Sweeten as desired with a non-fermentable sweetener, and the prime and bottle. That would give a 7.5% ABV fizzy wine cooler type beverage.

I'd go with about 3 pounds of berries per gallon, and sugar/honey up to the 1.050. You may need a smidgeon of tannin or acid blend, but I'd wait until it finished to add that just in case you don't need it!

Awesome, I've ordered some Xylitol as I just ate some Splenda and... well it's horrible, and I'm not a huge fan of aspertame either. How do I go about working out the amount of priming sugar needed for champagne levels of carbonation? Also, how good/bad are the PET pressure bottles you find on homebrew shopping sites? (I can't find any glass bottles to buy and don't drink Champagne!)

Back