Fizzy (carbonated) Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miller4

Reaction score
I did a couple searches but didn't find anything specific regarding this. My fiancé is doing a project with her nutrition students where they are all bringing in healthy snacks for a class. She saw a video of a guy making fizzy fruit using dry ice and a cooler covered in saran wrap, and wanted to duplicate it. I thought the idea was neat and decided that we had the materials to do it in the garage without dry ice. I put a bunch of grapes and apple slices into one of my kegs and put set the regulator at about 55 psi and threw the whole thing in the keezer. checked it after around 3 hours and there is already a noticeable tingly sensation from the fruit as well as some bubbling and fizzing coming out of the fruit. Going to leave it overnight and check again in the morning. Just curious if anybody else does this with any tips or tricks. It seems to be working well and is easy to do if you are already set up for kegging.

Prep

In the keg

I tried a few different things over the summer. Grapes seemed to work really well, a hit with everyone.
I think 10psi for a day was plenty, 55 will give you little bottle bombs :)

I plan to do this at my party next weekend. I heard its an amazing party treat that blows peoples minds.

I am not certain on what carbonation level yet, but plan to chop up fruit then throw it all in the keg the day before and open it up sometime during the party after my sous vide smoked brisket.

I plan on doing this more often, but am wondering what are easier ways to carbonate it and hold pressure than kegs. I probably opened and purged my keg at least 4-5 times and watered a bunch of co2 for this. Some fruit got crushed at the bottom.

I may get a smaller keg, but what other options are there to carbonate fruit using a wide mouth opening? I know there are keg lids for soda bottles, but a carbonated growler seems like the easiest option.

Also, my favorites were green grapes, cherries, apples, and strawberries. Small grapes exploded and raspberries became mush. Other fruits were good, but those were my favorites.

I definitely recommend trying this. A high amount of co2 up front makes it more interesting, but some fruits can't handle what would be explosive decompression.

This is really cool! I found a link online where someone made a tabletop infuser using a water filter as the housing for the fruit; since it is made for household water pressures, the 30 or so psi that people are suggesting should be fine, and you can fill the canister and have a reasonable amount of carbonated fruit for a few days.

Does anyone know how long the fruit holds on to carbonation?

link to water filter fruit carbonator
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2011/the-co2inator/

edit: darn you posted as i was typing this : )

Latest posts

Back