Fixing low final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longpig

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Timothy Taylor landlord clone. OG was 1.043, it was set to finish at 1.010. It's finished at 1.005. Out of the fermenting chamber, the beer is thin and too dry, hop forward in a way I'm not looking for on this one.

Grain bill was straight golden promise, yeast was wyeast 1469. Fermentation was strong out the gate, if I didn't have a blowoff tube it would have been a huge mess.

I'd like to salvage this if possible. I was looking at adding maltodextrin and/or dme. My understanding is maltodextrin will add mouthfeel but not sweetness and dme might be too sweet. Any advice on what to do here?

Dme will be fermented, it will lead to higher abv. You could add lactose if you want but I personally wouldn't. You cannot really do anything about this excerpt blending it with an underattenuated beer I'm afraid.

Let it sit a while and the hop presence will fade somewhat. Meanwhile you can ponder what went wrong and what you should do about it.
Would raising the mash temperature help? Did you do an extended mash? Is it worth it to spend time and money trying to fix the beer?
I'm way too cheap to dump out drinkable beer, I'd probably try to blend it with something else. For a few bucks and minimal effort, you could make a 2 gallon extract no boil pale ale which will probably finish about 1.020 and then "blend in the glass" to taste.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, the beer is finished fermenting and I'll be kegging shortly. If I add dme it will not have time to ferment.

Back