Fixing leak in keg system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalG

Reaction score
Hello all,
I changed the tank on my 2 keg system yesterday and today it's empty. Anyone have a fast and easy method for finding the leak?
Thanks,
Randal

If all you did was swap a tank and the system didn't leak before it makes sense its the connection at the tank. Did you remember the gasket??? Spray some Starsan around the connection and check for leaks.

Hello all,
I changed the tank on my 2 keg system yesterday and today it's empty. Anyone have a fast and easy method for finding the leak?
Thanks,
Randal

There are a couple techniques I have learned. I've tried the apply soapy water to the seals and listen/watch for bubbling. Has never worked that well for me except when the leak is a pretty bad leak on a keg seal.

What did work for me was a trick my CO2 beverage guy shared. It is basically quick way to confirm whether there is still a leak in the system.

First pressurize the system and make sure any obvious leak is stopped.

Then turn off the CO2 -- using the valve on top of the CO2 tank not the regulator. Wait a few minutes and see if the pressure drops. If it drops you have a leak somewhere in your system. Now you work through your system isolating parts to see if they are responsible for the leak.

Turn off the valve at the bottom of the regulator. Pressurize the regulator by turning on the CO2 on the tank. Then turn it off. No pressure drop over a few minutes means the connection between the CO2 tank and the regulator is fine.

Now if you have a manifold turn off all the lines at the manifold. Turn on the valve at bottom of regulator. Open the CO2 tank valve. Close the CO2 tank valve. No pressure drop over a few minutes means you are sealed all the way from the tank to the manifold.

Now disconnect all the gas lines from the kegs. Turn on the manifold lines one by one, checking for leak. If none of them leak it is one of your kegs.

If it is one of the kegs now break out the water (maybe with a drop of soap) and apply to the seals. Look at them closely. Also suspect the posts and PRV. If you can find the leak you might be able to stop it by opening up the keg and applying some keg lub to offending washer.

Good luck! They sell you on ease of kegging but a leaking system can be a real PITA. I've lost at least 3 canisters over last few years and have learned to always do a pressure test (turning off the CO2 at the tank) after I mess with the system.

Back