Fix pinhole in aluminum boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNBrews

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was recently sanitizing one of my 30qt boil kettles, and noticed a creeping puddle on the counter coming from underneath it. I lifted it up to find a pinhole leak, caused by god knows what...probably an oxiclean crystal remaining in that one spot too long or some other nonsense.

Anyway, is it possible to fix the hole without too much problem? I tried using some regular plumbing flux and the Oatey-brand "Safe Flo Lead Free Silver Solder" I had laying around, but the flux isn't cutting through the oxide coating enough for the solder to flow/stick.

Since the hole is on the bottom, it's going to be exposed to the flame of the burner. Any problems there?

I was about to suggest soldering it (after sanding off the oxide layer and hitting it with aluminum flux.. not copper flux) but if it's bottom fired that's not going to do you much good. Solder withstands temperatures ranging from 300F to 500F depending on the exact alloy. Depending on fuel air mixture of course, but your flames could be at 2000F, while the steel on your frame may be pushing 1300F.

JB weld is good up to 500F.
http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

What's the pot worth? $5 and some beer can get you a quick TIG job on it from a local welder.

I was about to suggest soldering it (after sanding off the oxide layer and hitting it with aluminum flux.. not copper flux) but if it's bottom fired that's not going to do you much good. Solder withstands temperatures ranging from 300F to 500F depending on the exact alloy. Depending on fuel air mixture of course, but your flames could be at 2000F, while the steel on your frame may be pushing 1300F.

JB weld is good up to 500F.
http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

What's the pot worth? $5 and some beer can get you a quick TIG job on it from a local welder.

I use the pot for decoctions on a propane flame and in 5 years it hasn't started leaking. That said, I only use the pot 5-7 times a year. Remember that if there is water on the inside, even with a 2000 deg flame, its still less than 500 deg on the kettle base.

Am I missing something here? Why not just get another pot? Aluminum pots are cheap.

Eh, mostly because I'm a cheap-ass, and I enjoy a challenge ;) I think the TIG job is probably my best bet.

Resurecting old post. I have the same issue and I'm cheap.
GNBrews, were you able to fix the pinhole? How did you do it? How is it working?

Thanks

Resurecting old post. I have the same issue and I'm cheap.
GNBrews, were you able to fix the pinhole? How did you do it? How is it working?

Thanks

I ended up using an Oatey all purpose liquid flux around the hole, scrubbed/scratched up the area really well under the liquid with a stainless brush, and then applied heat and the Safe Flo solder again. It flowed and bonded well on the bottom of the pot. :)

Latest posts

Back