Fix for cidery taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcarter

Reaction score
Cracked a red ale made from a Brew Canada kit a week ago, sampled again today. It has been in the bottle for 4 weeks.

The beer tastes thin and cidery to me, not offensive, but certainly below my expectations. I added only dextrose, per the kit instructions.

Today I cracked an IPA from a Thomas Cooper kit, 3 weeks in the bottle. It was done with 454g Muntons Spraymalt Plain Light, 800g dextrose. I also dry hopped 56g Amarillo. Big difference, great flavour, no cider taste at all.

I have a Brew Canada pilsner ready to bottle. Can I expect the same cidery taste as the red ale given it was also done with all dextrose? I s there something I can do at this point before bottling?

Going forward I will use more DME / less dextrose, just wondering whether it is too late for the pilsner.

Cidery could be acetaldehyde, maybe. Some of it can fade with conditioning, it's a sign of a "green" beer. Give it a little more time.

Time may help. Too much simple sugar can lead to a cidery flavor. Most have found using DME in place of the sugar improves an extract kit.

This is false information. Simple sugar does not lead to a cidery flavor.

Can you elaborate? I was also told at the shop that DME rather than dextrose would help resolve this is future batches for just that reason.

This is false information. Simple sugar does not lead to a cidery flavor.

Yes please elaborate.

Many extract brewers report a cidery flavor when following the extract kit instructions to use sugar. They also report that replacing it with malt extract eleviated the problem.

I have fermented sugar, water, and yeast nutrient as an experiment. Smelled like sour hard cider.

Are there other causes of cidery? Yes.

Can you use some sugar to dry out a beer without producing a cidery beer? Yes.

What is your recommendation?

Back