Five Grain Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
In the local grocery store I noticed some five grain syrup. My Korean isn't fluent, but I THINK its barley, corn, rice, sorghum and millet. Don't think I've ever seen anything like this before, any idea what it would do if thrown into a batch of beer?

I would definitely try it. Your biggest risk is that it won't be completely fermentable and you will end up with something sweet.

What is it for? does it taste good?

I would use yeast that will ferment to a high alcohol level since you don't know what it will do. I recommend White labs Irish Ale.

Ya! Let us know how it goes.

What I have done before(with extremely varied results) is to make whatever kind of beer you want next, no experimenting.
When you rack to secondary, pitch your "5 grain Frankenstein Ale" on the yeast cake. No it won't make an award winning brew, but at that point it is virtually free to brew and you will get a real good idea of how that stuff tastes and what it might do in conjunction with more typical ingredients.
I have ended up with 1 pile of crap, 1 brew that is basically a type of rum, 1 good brew, and 1 world class beer through just that kind of "afterthought" experiment. Good luck!

Hmmm, yeah. Will probably brew up this one after my Guiness clone with a few ounces of Cascade...

Think that 3 kg of this stuff and the hops would be enough for a Frankenstein Pale Ale?

Latest posts

Back