Five Gallon Carboy - Is it good for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

TVarmy

Reaction score
I bought a carboy from my LHBS that I thought was 6 gallons but which was actually 5 gallons, which I'm currently using for apfelwein. It's been a few weeks, and since I've used it, I'm a bit too embarrassed to take it back and swap it for a 6 or 6.5 gal carboy for when I try beermaking. I know glass is (for our purposes) chemically inert and can be completely santized, but it's just the principle of returning something I've used after a month (which it will be once my apfelwein's done).

I have a bottling bucket at 6.5 gallons that could serve as my primary. Would this glass carboy be okay the secondary fermentation? Or am I completely confused about how much headspace is needed?

BigEd

Reaction score
It's an ideal secondary fermenter, that's what the five gallon carboys are generally used for.

OP
OP
TVarmy

TVarmy

Reaction score
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure. I'm interested in trying fruit beers, so it's good to know I won't need to buy anything.

iron_city_ap

Reaction score
Fruit beers change things though. Because you are adding a pretty good amount of fruit you are better off with a larger carboy. Not that you are screwed with the 5 gal. one. Its just that you may have to lose some of it because of the addition. I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it though.

Worst case, sell it for pretty close to what you bought it for and pick up a larger one. I wouldn't return it after using it. Bad form, but that's just me.

OP
OP
TVarmy

TVarmy

Reaction score
Yeah, I found out it was five gallons, because it was full after pouring in five gallons of cider. After putting in all that energy sanitizing everything, I wasn't going to clean the carboy, find a place for the juice to hang out, etc.

dummkauf

Reaction score
also, before you go spend money on anything else, consider searching, or posting a want ad, on craigslist. I just put one out a few weeks ago looking for some 5 gallon carboys so I have some extra for aging stouts, barley wines, and possibly some mead soon too. Got a response the next day and picked up 3 five gallon carboys for $40. My LHBS sells them for $32 so I would consider that a pretty good deal, just needed a good cleaning which you would want to do either way :)