Five gal boil in a ten gal pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
Has anyone done a five gallon boil on their stove using a 10 gallon pot (or how about the next size smaller?)? Is a ten gal too wide for the burner perhaps?

Sorry I cannot be more help, but why not go get a turkey burner, if you already have the pot? $40 or so. put it on your credit card. George Bush says that will help the economy.;)

The pot's not too big, it's just that 5 gallons is too much for a stovetop to handle. It'll take forever to boil, if at all. Like sean sez, turkey burners are your friend.

I've done 5 gallon boils in a keggle (15.5 gallon pot); but I've never done so on the stove, I always use a turkey fryer outside.

Been doing them for 15 years, so "I beg to differ" with "It's too much for the stove."

I do use a canning element on the electric stove - supposed to help with the stove getting too hot from the wide pot? Same wattage as the standard large element it replaced, but taller and beefier. Whatever, I've always used it. Heavy aluminum commercial cookpot, 40 quart. I boil ~ 7 gallons to start, knock off at 5.5 gallons into fermenter, the boil usually takes 80-90 minutes, hop schedule is based on that , not on the "60 minute standard" that seems to be standard around here. Could start with 6.5 and boil for an hour if that made you happy, I guess. Might depend on your particular stove, a little.

Works fine, means I'm not fiddling around outside, less junk to store.

Back