Fitting size for 1 barrel system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
Building a one barrel system and wondering what size fittings I should be using. Thinking 1/2" will be too small. Thinking closer to 3/4-1 inch. What say you?

So that would then translate to 1" hoses? Only issue I see is most non-commercial brewing pumps are 1/2"

I know that more beer has the pumps with the 1" inlet and 1/2" outlet. Not sure says they are 17gpm, just have to use an adapter to go to 1" on the outlet.

Im using 1/2" hoses and fittings on my 1bbl system with march pumps and it works fine. Unless you replace your pumps, they will be your bottle neck. I personally dont think a 300-500 dollar pump is worth shaving a minute or two off your transfer times.

However, when i switch over to tri clamp fittings, i plan on using 3/4" barbs for my hoses, that way everything should have at least a 1/2" bore.

My 1 barrel rig has 1/2" fittings. I upgraded the hoses to 5/8" barbs with D style camlocks. Standard 809 march pump.

Our typical brew day is 6 hours batch sparging.

Ok good. Seems like finding an affordable hose larger than 1/2" that can handle boiling temps would be expensive.

Back