Fist time using 3711, tart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdanZ

Reaction score
Hey all, about two months ago I brewed a 5 gallon batch with wyeast 3711. It was my first with that yeast. I fermented a bit low, 18ºc / 64ºf, bottled and went away on vacation. Two weeks later I came back, put one in the freezer for 1/2 hour and tried it. It was primarily tart, very very tart... and citrusy. I admit I did a double take, and wondered if I would be able to stomach that much tartness for the remaining 65 beers.

Well, fast forward four more weeks (three more weeks at room temperature + 1 week at 4ºc/ 39ºf) and low and behold the tartness is all but gone, making way for more spicy notes of coriander to come through along with the citrus that was always present. The remaining tartness is very pleasant and in harmony everyting else that's going in in the beer.

My question is, has anyone else had this experience before? Since tartness is primarily acidity, how would bottle conditioning reduce that? I also noticed that prolonged cold conditioning somehow also seemed to have an effect.

Back