Fisrt time Crystal Malt user questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilbone

Reaction score
Here's my next batch info:
(only my 4th batch, so I'm still pretty green here)

3.3 lbs light LME
2 lbs amber DME
1 lb 120L Crystal malt
.5 lb corn sugar

1 oz Chinook
1 oz Cenntenial(using instead of Cascade this time...LHBS didn't have any)

Notti yeast

I guess I'm not really going for anything in particular...just something a little darker with a smidge more body than what I've been doing with all extract pale ales(which I've been VERY happy with).

Having never used crystal malt, I'm curious about how much to crush it before I use it? How long to leave it in the water...should it be in for any of the boil? I don't know much here, so anything you can share will help form my education.
My plan(from what I've read so far) is to put it in the water when it's first on the heat and then pull it out when the water just starts to boil...but I don't know the reasons for when and how long and what temps for any of this.
So
1. How much to crush?
2. How long/what temp/when to have it in the water?

Thanks in advance!! This place is awesome!

Put the grains in a 1 gal plastic bag
Crush with a rolling pin until the husk just starts to fall off
Using a paint strainer or a bag of cheese cloths steep the grains in 160 F water for 10-30 minutes (I know it's a big range)

Continue with your brewing process as normal.

That's my suggestion for breaking into the extract + specialty grain brewing process. For extract bews I typically steep my specialty grains in 2 quarts of water at 150-160F on the side and then add the resulting "malt tea" to my boil kettle just before the boil.

Don't worry it's a forgiving process, just do not boil the specialty grains.

EDIT: for your recipe I wouldn't use more than 0.25 lbs of Crystal 120. But that's my taste preference, 0.5lbs will probably be okay but may start to get strong raisin like notes in the finished product. I am sure more knowledge members can provide more insight.

You crush as any other grain but do not boil it. Let it steep in 155-160 degree water for 20-30 minutes and your done. One pound is a lot for 5 gallon batch so be ready for some heavy dark flavors. Here is a good description on crystal malts. >> Link

1. Crack the grain. Don't pulverize it to dust.
2. Steep your crystal (in a grain bag) in water at about 150f for 45 mins or so before any extracts are added...DO NOT BOIL GRAINS! If you do you're pull out crazy amounts of tannins that will make your hard work pretty unenjoyable.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for jumping in to help.

This is good stuff. Yeah, I'm not sure how much I should add...this is a total experiment. I was planning on the whole pound My first 3 batches have been in the mild pale ale vein, so I want to get away from that for this batch and try something a stronger. I know there's a huge chasm between a pale ale and a stout, but I'd like to have some "stout like" qualities in this batch. Not necessarily stronger "hoppier" but just a sharper, darker, roastier flavor. I thought maybe 120L could get me closer to that.

I'll have to read some more and think about this before I commit...

Crystal 120 won't get you any "stout like" qualities. You will want some roasted barley/black patent malt/chocolate malt for that. C120 will get you caramel, raisins, burnt sugar, and the like.

Crystal 120 won't get you any "stout like" qualities. You will want some roasted barley/black patent malt/chocolate malt for that. C120 will get you caramel, raisins, burnt sugar, and the like.

that might be ok...I don't want the chocolate/coffee aspect of a stout, I just know that most darker sharper beers call for at least some C120...

I can't even picture/imagine the "raisin" flavor I've heard mentioned in reference to C120.

Any brews out there that you could recomend that would fit that caramel/ raisin/burnt sugar description that I could check out and see if I like it?

Not sure of any that are specific to C120, but I get similar flavors from Special B. Try Arrogant Bastard to get a mouthful of that!

Back