Fishing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Just got back from fishing. Ended up catching two nice sized Guadalupe bass and a decent catfish. I usually sein for minnows then just fish the bank but now the creek is so high I use my fly rod and float downstream in an inflatable raft. When I started it was a beautiful day 80 degrees and sunny but on the walk back it turned from sunny to black skies fast and the rain started in with lightning.

I also enjoy boat fishing but don't get out that often. Last time I went coast a buddy stuck his filet knife 3-4 inches into his leg on accident when a wave rocked the boat so we had to rush him back. Good times.

Nothing quite like a good fishing story. I got out this past weekend for the first time this year. Caught quite a few largemouth bass and panfish. I could sit around the ol' campfire with a good hefe and share a few "knife in the leg" stories too. Nothing like fishing with your buddies and "remembering when"....

dave

I did a little preseason trout fishing with my fly rod on Sunday, didn't catch a damn thing. I blame it on my dad though, he packed an old broken rod for me instead of my new rod. So there I was in the stream with a 5 foot long fly rod that looked like something you'd give to an 8 year old.

Actually went fishing again today. Now the weather is so nice I try to go to the river weekly. We could see the bass but perch kept grabbing the lures before they would hit. Ended up just relaxing in the water.

This is where I fish:

river.jpg

I was going to start a new thread, but figured why not revive a thread from 2005!? :)

Can't believe noone has posted up a fishing thread yet. Opening day for trout in some of the Pennsylvania counties (18 or so I believe) is this Saturday... I'll be going out for the first time in a few years, this year. I know, I know, it's just another hobby to steal time from brewing, but my stockpile is getting rather large right now anyway. Plus I need to get back into the outdoors. I used to hunt and fish and haven't done either in 4-5 years...

So, anyway, just got back from bass pro and although I have a lot of gear from when I used to fish, I felt like starting anew with a lot of things. Spent quite a few bills ($20 type, not benjamins) buying tons of cool new stuff. Hopefully it pays off. :)

I assume some of you others fish? I primarily fish the PA trout streams and the occasional canoe/lake fish for bass and such... I went salmon fishing in upstate NY once when I was about 12 (13 years ago) and it was pretty cool. My uncles did most of the fishing, but I wouldn't mind trying that again now that I'm a little older and such.

Hah, my FIL belongs to a private trout club, I have over 16 in the freezer this season alone. Next to brewing, I think fishing is my favorite hobby.

I decided to join the fishing club, 2-3 year waiting list...

I will be hitting the streams on Saturday as well.

You get to start trout fishing this already?! :( Not fair! I have to wait until the last saturday of April before trout season opens. I've been steelheading lately but mostly just freezing my butt off for no fish.

brad - yep! most counties in PA open April 12, but early season for a lucky 18 southeastern counties in PA... I'm secretly praying for a little rain (as predicted I believe) to keep some of the non-diehards inside and the creeks more barren Saturday. I've obviously not been a diehard in a few years, but I plan to be this year. :)

I love fishing! Ice fishing is winding down here, and walleye opener is May 15. Usually the ice is gone from the lakes by opening day. We fish for walleye, panfish (especially perch, blue gill, crappies), some bass, and northern pike usually. Sometimes we wade the streams for brook trout. Our favorite meal is beer battered bluegill.

We use kayaks and canoes mostly, but our paddle boat at the cottage has also been used to catch some beautiful fish.

I can't wait to get out fishing most of the ice is gone from the ponds now. Another week or 2 and it's fishing time. By the way what is a Guadalupe bass?

I can't wait to get out this year. I'm fishing for the same variety as Yooper but in northern Minnesota. Still frozen up there though... Summer just doesn't last long enough around here.

I pass on trout season but I am definitely looking forward to getting back out for small mouths & cats this year!.

I picked up a fly rig for this year too...this should be a hoot!

bradsul said:
I'm a river nut myself, I'll spend all of trout season happily wading. But for bass in the river I've really been enjoying this little toy. :D

5408-dscn1431_small.jpg

Hmmm!!! Looks like fun. I think I could use one of those.

Do you just row? Have you tried a trolling motor yet?

Schlenkerla said:
Hmmm!!! Looks like fun. I think I could use one of those.

Do you just row? Have you tried a trolling motor yet?
I just row, the current does most of the work, I use it like a drift boat. They're fun on small lakes too, but I'd definitely want a trolling motor if I had to cover any distance. They row well but for that I'd rather have a canoe or something.

I love to fish. I don't do it near as much as I'd like to these days. Father in Law is an avid fisherman. That's pretty much all he does when he's not working. I have an old Sabot sailboat that we use with a troliing motor for fishing and he has a 14ft aluminum boat that we also use. I have an Arizona fishing license with a Nevada stamp, a trout stamp, and a 2 pole stamp. That way, I can fish either side, and that also lets me fish off of a boat.

One of my favorite spots:

Willow Beach
A nice spot on the Colorado River just south of The Hoover Dam. There is a trout hatchery there so the striper fishing is really good.

2arvcz.jpg

Fishing on my Grandfather in Laws pond in California

24dhcmt.jpg

bradsul said:
I just row, the current does most of the work, I use it like a drift boat. They're fun on small lakes too, but I'd definitely want a trolling motor if I had to cover any distance. They row well but for that I'd rather have a canoe or something.

Question is, do you have room for a battery and do you have a transom that can handle the motor clamp.

BTW - What brand its yours?

Nice pics Talleymonster!

Schlenkerla said:
Question is, do you have room for a battery and do you have a transom that can handle the motor clamp. BTW - What brand its yours?...
You can buy a solid rear deck (mine just has mesh) and a motor mount. My dad has both of those on his, though he's only used the motor a couple times.

My boat is an Outcast Fish Cat Streamer XL. If I were going to buy another one I think I'd get a 9' pontoon model instead of the 8'. The 9' have a double-chamber pontoon design on each side instead of one large one. Makes it row a bit better and it requires a little bit less water (lets you float through those shallow riffles). Other than that I have zero complaints though, I love it!

Wow! I can't believe you dug up this old post. I just started digging my fishing stuff out and dusting it off from the long winter. I can't wait to get back out. We are going on a week long fishing trip to Northern Ontario this Summer. The ice has just melted off this past week around here and some guys at work have actually gone out to wet their lines.

Some pics from last year...

da man.jpg

I'm not much of a fisherman but my FIL's dock is good for Flounder, snook, Grouper, tripletail and an occasional Shark. Oh and cast nets will yield 30-40 mullets at a time,

loopmd said:
Wow! I can't believe you dug up this old post. I just started digging my fishing stuff out and dusting it off from the long winter. I can't wait to get back out. We are going on a week long fishing trip to Northern Ontario this Summer. The ice has just melted off this past week around here and some guys at work have actually gone out to wet their lines.
Nice pike! :mug:

Whereabouts are you heading? My brother practically lives on Lake Nipissing in the winter for the ice fishing.

Lake Anishinabi. I've never been there, but my buddy has been going for the past 10 years or so. The pike in the pic is from a lake in north central nebraska. We've been fishing there every spring for the past 15 years, and we usually catch many just like that.

Loop

Nowhere near the size of yours, but I caught this little beastie in a trout stream if you can believe that. I found it playing a muddler minnow along a tree lined bank of a pool while I was looking for some cruising brown trout.

5408-DCP_0344.JPG

Man I am sick of winter. We still have ice on the lakes, got 2" of snow last night. You guys that live down south have it made. I am can't wait until I can get the boat out.....

I used to be big into fishing when I was in high school. All salt water stuff though. Dad has an 18' flats boat. I wish I knew how to post pics, I have some nice ones of the snook and red fish we got last December out in Everglades National Park. I will pray for warm weather for you guys in the north. :rockin:

Well, pulled in the first 3 from the stream in the AM while I was freezing my arse off at 37-40F range...

In the afternoon we went to a sportsman club my friends are members of and they have a stocked stream/pond area. It was a field-day there, but we pretty much played catch and release unless we had injured the fish (swallowed hooks, beat up from battle or possibly being caught twice? etc). We probably caught about 20 between the 4 of us, but we only kept 5 total.

All in all a decent day. Considering going out tomorrow AM again, but man it was cold this AM and supposed to be down to 26F overnight.

EDIT: Had I gotten there a little earlier and gotten the hole I wanted in the AM, I could have hit a few 'trophy' goldens/palaminos. A 22" and a 21" trout were pulled out of that hole by 9AM... That's pretty large for around here. Mine averaged 9", haha.

EDIT: Took off Monday AM and pulled in 3 more in about 2 hours... Not a bad weekend.

What a great weekend!

Made my first 10 gallon brew on Sat, and me and the FIL both caught our limit today on the stream!! Should be smoking most of these guys tonight.

trout03302008.jpg

After reading this I am even more excited for the start of the season. Broke out the gear this morning and respooled 2 reels in anticipation of next weekend. (Steelead fising on the Grand river)

Nice catch Ryan.....sounds like a fantastic weekend!

Ryan_PA said:
What a great weekend!

Made my first 10 gallon brew on Sat, and me and the FIL both caught our limit today on the stream!! Should be smoking most of these guys tonight.

Smoked up 6 of the ten, first time smoking trout, freaking fantastic. I need to put this recipe up in the cooking section when I am less hammered.

Ryan_PA said:
Smoked up 6 of the ten, first time smoking trout, freaking fantastic. I need to put this recipe up in the cooking section when I am less hammered.

Never have smoked trout either... Post that recipe!!! I have about 11 in the freezer now...

I smoke all of my trout and then pick the meat off the bones. Freeze the meat in ziplocs and take a package camping in the summer. Take the package out, thaw the meat throw in some onions, and egg or 2 and some cracker crumbs. Mix everything with your paws and patty up burger size. Throw them bad boys in a cast iron skillet with some butter and fry them up. Put on a bun and sit around the campfire with as many beers as I can drink. God....I can't wait.

Loop

loopmd said:
I smoke all of my trout and then pick the meat off the bones. Freeze the meat in ziplocs and take a package camping in the summer. Take the package out, thaw the meat throw in some onions, and egg or 2 and some cracker crumbs. Mix everything with your paws and patty up burger size. Throw them bad boys in a cast iron skillet with some butter and fry them up. Put on a bun and sit around the campfire with as many beers as I can drink. God....I can't wait.

Loop

Sounds like another great idea... might need to try this.

We just stocked this with bass, catfish, bluegill, sunfish, and fatheads. By next year, we should be fishing.

SuperiorBrew said:
Nice job!

Here are some Lake Superior Trout from last year:

Man those look good. I love fishing on Lake Superior, its been a few years since I have been able to go up their and fish on my uncles boat..

Back