fish and eggs in australian wines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
I spent 6 months in australia recently and I wanna know why they would put "may contain fish and egg products" on the box wine? It was truly nasty wine as in $9.99 for 1 gallon. And no it wasn't cooking wine.

I believe isinglass is used as a clarifying agent in wine. Not sure about the eggs.

PS: A quick google search confirms, and states that egg based products are used in the same way.

ok thats good to know I wasnt drinking some crazy fish sauce fermented product... kinda tasted like it though:ban:

You truely get what you pay for! at $9.99, Cardboard Chateau is the cheapest of cheap. A more expensive bottle which may have still had fish and egg product, would be likely to have tasted far better.

Wineries used to add tannins which came from walnut shells, they had to stop rather than say "may contail nut products".
Remember, that was $10 aussie, which is $8 US or $9 Canadian. pretty cheap stuff. Why would you come all the way to Australia just to sample our worst wine?

pretty cheap stuff. Why would you come all the way to Australia just to sample our worst wine?

I thought those were the ones you exported to us here? Isn't that what barefoot means in australian? Or maybe it was Little Penguin. :)

I spent 6 months in australia recently and I wanna know why they would put "may contain fish and egg products" on the box wine? It was truly nasty wine as in $9.99 for 1 gallon. And no it wasn't cooking wine.

Your talking about Goon wine, it's cheap 5-10 dollars for a box and get you really hammered. I got sick everytime, but it was a good type sick.

I would love to try making it myself (any recipes would be apreciated

Latest posts

Back