First Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate456789

Reaction score
So I made my first yeast starter this saturday using a packet of nottingham and a quart of Canned wort on the stir plate.
I was hoping to brew monday but other things came up. and Sunday I put the flask in the fridge and the yeast dropped out and look great.
Last night (wed) I poured off the top and left a 1/4" or so in the bottom and mixed it up. I had read somewhere that if I don't use it in 2 to 3 days then I would have to start the process over again. So I did last night. Put it on the stir plate and poured another quart of canned wort into it.
Less than 20 minutes it was going crazy and foaming. so I am pretty sure I have healthy yeast growing.
My question is, will I be over pitching now?
I used this calculator:
http://yeastcalc.summitwoodwork.com/
and when I put in my numbers with the second quart it says that 1 quart is not enough for the yeast. So have I under pitched my starter so to speak?
My Beer will be 1.051 at 6 gallons and I used the yeast viability of 90% for the dry packet.
Thanks

That calculator is for liquid yeast. You have something like twice as many yeast cells in a pack of nottingham vs a liquid yeast vial.

In general, you don't need a starter with dry yeast.

So i have way too much yeast then.
I should have just used the yeast from my first starter then and not worry about it.
So should i only pitch about half the slurry from this batch since this is really the second starter for it?
From what i have been reading i don't want to over pitch my yeast.

So i have way too much yeast then.
I should have just used the yeast from my first starter then and not worry about it.

You should not have made a starter

So should i only pitch about half the slurry from this batch since this is really the second starter for it?
From what i have been reading i don't want to over pitch my yeast.

If it were me, I would pitch the whole thing. It should ferment in about 3 days. Then put it in a keg and chill it/carbonate it and be ready in about another 4 days.

Then start another batch and do it correctly.

Latest posts

Back