First yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Millarkey

Reaction score
I'm trying out my first yeast starter and was looking for input. Pitfalls / must-do's? I've seen a few clips on how to and all but none have showed the actual pitch. Do I pitch the slurry and all the liquid; just the slurry; just the liquid? Anything else I should know?

camus

Reaction score
Normally I pitch it all, I make mine the day before I brew.

If you need a really bit starter, you may want to decant it. <- I will let others weigh in on this portion.

trevorc13

Reaction score
You can do either, decant or pitch the whole thing. I usually put it in the fridge over night and decant the next day, but this is primarily because the DME I use is old, and I don't want to incorporate off flavors. It has been said that off flavors occur anyways in the wort of a starter due to the aeration, but I guess these get cleaned up with the fermentation of a 5 gallon batch.

Another thing to realize is that the krausen of a starter will not be like that of your five gallon batch. It will appear to be smaller and you really won't see a lot of activity unless you make a really big starter. After 18-24 hours, you should be ready to pitch. As long as your yeast is new, you should have a healthy starter. Are you using a stir plate, or just intermitant swirling? How big are you making it?

jheist

Reaction score
If you make it the day before you brew you need to pitch it all. If it's still got a krausen I would pitch it all. If it's been a few days and looks calmed down you could decant and pitch. I don't like to mess with that unless I'm making a lager or super light ale.

OP
OP
Millarkey

Millarkey

Reaction score
trevorc13 said:
You can do either, decant or pitch the whole thing. I usually put it in the fridge over night and decant the next day, but this is primarily because the DME I use is old, and I don't want to incorporate off flavors. It has been said that off flavors occur anyways in the wort of a starter due to the aeration, but I guess these get cleaned up with the fermentation of a 5 gallon batch.

Another thing to realize is that the krausen of a starter will not be like that of your five gallon batch. It will appear to be smaller and you really won't see a lot of activity unless you make a really big starter. After 18-24 hours, you should be ready to pitch. As long as your yeast is new, you should have a healthy starter. Are you using a stir plate, or just intermitant swirling? How big are you making it?

Thanks for the info. I was going to use a 32oz starter, I'm not sure if thats a small or large starter. Should I be making a larger? I'm shooting for an OG of 1.060. I was planning on just swirling it but have considered investing in a stir plate but I'm not sure if they're worth the price. Also, will the slurry that drops to the bottom easily pitch or is it difficult to remove?