First Yeast Starter. Do I have a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejdischer

Reaction score
So I'm brewing Northern Brewer's Belgian tripel kit and I was going to brew on Friday. So yesterday I made a yeast starter. Smacked the pack(Wyeast Trappist). Boiled 1/2 cup light DME in a 2000ML flask. Cooled it in the sink. Added the yeast to the flask. Put flask on stirplate and let it go. Today, after about 24 hours of no activity, I added some more wort that I whipped up. This time I added some Wyeast nutrient into the boil. Cooled it and added it to the flask. Put it back on stirplate. So it's 10 hours later, still no activity. At least, no vigorous foaming or anything. Just a brownish fluid swirling around. Should I be concerned?

Did you check the temp of the wort before you pitch the yeast?
How big of a batch did you make?

When I shake it, I get foam. There is a very small (I'd say 1/8") foam ring on the outside top o the beer.

I didn't take the temperature because I boiled in the flask and I don't have a longer lab-type thermometer. I have a small one that I just drop into my test jar when I need it. I started by making a 500mL starter. Then earlier today I added another 750mL to bring it up to 1250mL and try to jump start it.

It's hard to say if you cooked the yeast if you don't know what temp you pitch the yeast at. Give it anther day.

I made a starter last week I starterd with 1000ml and bumped up to 2000ml two days later with 1 cup of DME each time( I made my starter 5 days before I used it). The first 1000ml took a day or two to really get going. I think the batch you made the first time might have been too small.

How much DME total do you have in the flask now?

Take it off the stir plate and let it settle. Do you see a substantial amount of yeast at the bottom of the flask?

You used 1/2 cup of dme for how much water?

A pint (1/2 quart) of water & a 1/2 cup of DME will produce a starter of aprox. 1.040 OG

If you used the right ratio your starter should be this color after 12-18 hours on the stir plate.
2077891610101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

If it is and you set it in the fridge for a hour or so you will end up with this, the cream colored layer on the bottom is all the yeasties.
I normally make my starter about 24 to 36 or more hours before I plan to start brewing. I pull it off the stir plate after a minimum of 12 hours and a max of 18 hours & put it in the fridge overnight. (can be up to a week or tow if need be) That will drop all the yeast out of suspension and when your ready to start your brew day you decant the oxidized wort off the top of the yeast (pour slowly and get as much as you can off) and let your yeast warm to room temperature while you are brewing. By the time you are done, the yeast will be at the proper pitching temperature.
2159550290101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone. What I have right now looks exactly like what's in Rich's first picture. So I feel a lot better. I'm going to brew tomorrow, so tonight I'll take it off the stir plate and let everything settle, and hopefully I'll get what's in Rich's 2nd picture.

Back