First yeast starter, did I screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Gtrman13

Reaction score
I know, I know, this is probably yet another thread wondering if I screwed up and if I were just a bit less impatient time would tell me everything is fine, but I'm skeptical and and I'm impatient and I need answers.

So, yesterday I brewed a cream ale, and I made a yeast starter for it for the first time with a wyeast propagator pack. I made the starter according to the directions on the pack and let it sit for a bit over 24 hours before I pitched. By that time, no krauzen had formed, but I read it was fine anyway. Now, it's been over a day since I pitched into my wort and there isn't a bit of activity. There is no airlock bubbling and I cant see any changes in the wort itself. Should I give it more time, or did I screw up my starter? I am using a carboy for the first time instead of a bucket, so I don't know if I'm supposed to be seeing something by now or not, but I feel like I normally have airlock activity going at this point in my buckets. Thoughts anyone?

Nokitchen

Reaction score
I know, I know, this is probably yet another thread wondering if I screwed up and if I were just a bit less impatient time would tell me everything is fine...
You got it in one. Even with a starter, the time it takes for the yeast to get really going can vary, and the time before it starts moving that airlock can vary even more. I've had airlock activity and krauzening happen so fast it seemed like it was before pitching yeast and I've had it be a few days.

My advice is as follows. Check your temperature. Check the seal on on your stopper. I don't suggest either of those things because I think they might be wrong, but because I know and understand that you're desperate for things to check right now and that's all that's currently in your control. Then, check your fridge for homebrews. I'll bet there's at least one too many in there. You should definitely take care of that as soon as possible. :mug:

OP
Gtrman13

Gtrman13

Reaction score
Haha, thanks Nokitchen. I'll go check that airlock in just a second. I figured I just needed some patience, but I just need a bit of reinforcement every so often! So I can go with a winter ale, ESB, or dunkelweissen... Dunkel it is!