First Yeast Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kraftmade

Ok, so I feel I am in the right direction, just looking for a little feedback and a maybe what I can or could do next.
Just harvested this WLP001 yeast from my recent IPA batch. I watched a few videos and read a bunch of threads on the how-to for yeast harvesting and washing. Looking to see if I am heading in the right direction. Coming from my glass 6 gallon carboy, I know it isn't as easy as a conical. I dumped a decent amount of yeast and some trub into a bigger container. Sterilized some hot water, cooled it to 65, poured it into the container, shook, then waited. I then proceeded to dump the top layer out, then poured the yeast layer into the two mason jars, sealed and placed in the fridge.
The pictures attached, (my apologies on the one, "being blurry" as it was 6 am this morning and the dog knocked me as I took it)
But from what I see, it seems to be doing good, looks healthy, both jars were completely sanitized in star san.
Just looking for some feedback to see what I can do next? If its nothing and well brew again so I can re use this yeast, that is good.
I will be attempting a yeast starter, to use this. But should my next step with that be get some wort, the day before, and make the starter with this whole mason jar of yeast?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Y-1.jpg

Y-2.PNG

I think you are on the right track. That is basically the same way I have been doing it for 13 years or better. Honestly the first couple times I would use it I wouldn't do a starter myself. There is SO much yeast in there. I would proof it from time to time but then even quit doing that. Once I would get into the fourth or fifth gen I would start removing about 1/2 that volume of yeast and do a big fatty starter. I always had great success as I am sure you will too. I never used Star San though to be honest. I would just clean all my jars and jar lids, rinse really well and then fill my kettle with enough water to cover my jars like I was canning and then boil like crazy. I would use THAT water to fill my jars for my "yeast wash" water. and since the jars and lids were sanitized with the boiling water there was no need for Star San in my process.

Cheers
Jay

Back