First year rhizomes and snow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwmarach

Reaction score
So I'm a little excited. This is my first year growing hops so I got 2 Cascade and 2 Fuggle rhizomes online. When they came in the mail three of the 4 rhizomes had white shoots coming out from the eyes (kind of like a potato that's been sitting in the pantry for a while). So I put up my trellis and put them in the ground 4/11/11 with a healthy portion of cowyard dirt. When I planted the soil was easy to dig and the temperature nice to where I was out there in shorts and a t-shirt. Well since then the temperature dropped, we got some snow last Friday and last night it started to snow again and is still snowing right now. I haven't seen anything poking up so I haven't covered anything up figuring that the moisture will help, but now I'm getting concerned over whether the temperature of the moisture will do something to my new rhizomes. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm about an hour from Minneapolis/St. Paul climate wise.

You will probably be fine as snow is an insulator. You could put some mulch on top if you are really worried.

Back