First Year hops from Houston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac

Reaction score
OK, I finally got some pics loaded on the computer so I could post. Please forgive the quality as they were taken with my iPhone.

Picasa Web Albums - Jody McCarty - Hops

All of the pics are from first year hops. The 5 hops on the side of my house are cascade and chinook bought from Colorado hopfarmer. The container hops are Cent, Magnum and Nugget bought from Thyme Garden. The first photo is of a bed I dug and filled with potting soil etc with the plan to run the vines up to the top of the house. They were planted in mid March. As you can tell they have not done well but they are hanging on. Numerous issues with them....The other pics are from my last minute decision in mid April to plant a few more hops trying to get some cones to make a brew this year as the previous hops were not doing well. They started off like gangbusters but then stopped growing and the leaves started changing colors and falling off. The hops in the containers have better sun throughout the day and have grown 10 times better than I had expected. It looks like I will get hops from all 4 plants. I cant wait to brew with some homegrown goodness!!!

The first pic of the container hops was from 6/24 and the last pics are from 7/22.

I tried to get some to grow from seed. No love at all. Too hot? Not enough water? I don't know, just could not get them to grow.
Yours are looking good.

Try to pick up some rhizomes from one of the many saling them next March. I bet you will have better luck and will not get any male plants like you can wit seeds.

Back