First year hop plants - Add fertilizer now before cutting bines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I live in the SE Michigan area and this past June I planted my first 4 hop plants: Magnum, Cascade, Centenial, and Chinook. I am preparing to get them ready for the Fall / Winter months ahead and was wondering does it make sense to add one more fertilizer application before cutting the bines down? I have been using Bio bloom once a month since planting the hop plants.

My thought is to add the last fertlizer application to each plant for the year to give the roots some nutirents to store for the long winter months. I would then cut the bines down to about 1-2 inches above the ground the end of October.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Rob

I'm interested in the answer to this question, though my hops are three years old.

Still trying to figure out what kind of easy fertilization schedule I should be following that gets me the most bang for my buck with minimal cost or effort.

I'm interested in the answer to this question, though my hops are three years old.

Still trying to figure out what kind of easy fertilization schedule I should be following that gets me the most bang for my buck with minimal cost or effort.

Well I'm glad I'm not alone with this question. As of now i plan to cut my bines down to the ground next weekend and cover them with grass clippings after I cut my yard

I just have mine some Scott's Plant food full of nitrogen because it's in the 80s this week. I'll probably cover them with compost soon since it's getting down to 40 overnight. This will be interesting to see next year as a second year grower.

Back