First Year Hop Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of my new hop garden. This is my first year growing so I'm not expecting too much but it's been fun so far and maybe I'll get lucky with a couple of ounce in the end.

The only question I have so far is should I tighten the bine string a bit more or leave them a little loose for future shrinkage?

b3909ac9.jpg

b1e803a3.jpg

7afa3ade.jpg

261b2b62.jpg

Comments, suggestions and feedback are welcome.

Cheers:mug:

ID tighten the ropes very taught...this helps with wind. Otherwise you just need to make sure and keep the leaves off the ground if you leave them loose.(when they start to climb). If you leave them loose the wind will knock them around and possibly yank the bine from the crown.

Cheers

What do you have planted? I would say tighten the string.

This year I planted Cascade (2), Nugget, Fuggle and Willlamette (2)

How tall are those poles?

Do your neighbors care?

The pole reach just shy of 15 ft. I have them in the ground about 2 feet and securely attached to the fence itself. This prevented me from running tethering line which would be an issues with my 5 year old running around.

I did our courtesy ask my neighbor about the view and he didn't have any issues. I guess the free brews on occasion may have something to do with that :D

I did end up tightening the line a bit but overall they are still loose enough so the wind will move them around but the plants don't seem to be bothered much.

So far so good

:mug:

Are the cascade the ones on the right int he picture? My 2nd year cascade is growing like crazy.

The cascade is the center plant in the photo. But my Nugget is the one on the right whichi s actually doing pretty good. It's grown about 6 inches since I posted the pics.

My only concern remans with my Willamette, looking very healthy but not growing too quickly.

Back