First year homegrown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhoffer-Knopfe

Reaction score
New to homebrewing and hop growing. First year harvest is not good, as I had expected. Cascade, centenial, Mt. Hood, Northern Brewer and sterling. I would like to throw what little I have into an IPA. Any suggestions; during mash, FWH, at flameout and should I adjust the grain bill.

You really should adjust anything as far as grains go until after you've tried the hops. Not knowing the AAU can be tough sometimes, but once you brew with them a few times, you'll get the hang of it.

I would say stick to aroma and dry hopping so you can get a good idea about how it's going to taste.

I am also getting ready to brew an IPA and would like to dry hop with some of the 1st year Chinook hops I grew. Should I add them as soon as I rack into secondary or should I wait a bit?

Just add them like you would any other hops. The only difference is they're fresh. I usually brew a beer with fresh hops the weekend I harvest. Then whatever is left of my harvest, I dry and seal with my foodsaver. Then onto the freezer.

Back