First wort Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmashl

Reaction score
I am about to try something new for me. I am going to First wort hop a recipe for a brown ale. I am wondering if this will boil over at the hot break? Do not want a mess on my stove as SWMBO will be pissed if it does go over.
Recipe as follows:
6.5 lb 2 row
3 lb 60L
12 oz 120 L
8 oz Chocolate malt
3 oz black malt

1 oz E Kent golding FWH
.5 oz Liberty 30 min
.5 oz Liberty 15
1 oz Willamette Flame out

4 gallon boil with 2 gallon top off after transferring to fermenter(due to lack of pot volume)

Nottingham yeast rehydrated

It may boil over, but watch it close and you should be ok.

You didn't ask for a recipe critique, but is the 3 pounds of crystal 60L, and .75 pounds of 120L a typo? The 120L might be ok, but the 3 pounds of crystal 60L is not.

What do you suggest with the ratio of Crystal malts? I have more 2 row to use.

thinking of backing off the 60L to 1 lb and adding 2 lbs of 2 row in its stead.

if I do what I said with the 1 lb 60l and 2 more lbs of 2 row, it would be about 16% crystal.

if I do what I said with the 1 lb 60l and 2 more lbs of 2 row, it would be about 16% crystal.

Follow Yooper's advice on this one. 10% or less crystal is solid guidance, and, when she says well hopped at 12-15%, she means it will take considerable effort to balance the sweetness it will impart. I will promise you that, if you cut your crystal to 10%, you won't be disappointed. I would maybe do .85lbs 60L and .25lbs 120L (to be right at 10%) and save the leftover for the next batch.

Back