"First Wort Hopping"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this for an extract recipe? I understand that the technique is to add some of your hops during the mash correct? If so, would this work if I was doing an all extract recipe with some steeping grains? Just toss an ounce or 2 in with my grains and steep away?

Im new at first wort hopping...but as I understand it it is adding hops to your first runnings (AG) so they are in the kettle from the first runnings all the way to flameout. Ive only done it a couple times and I really can't tell a difference yet. For extract; I don't think it would do anything....

I've read people doing it both ways: hops in the mash and hops in the lautering. I tried my first attempt at it, I did hops in the lautering. My beer is still in the lagering fridge.

If you are PMing or using steeping grains, you could try adding the hops to the same pot you are steeping your grains. I'm not sure how much you'll get out of it.

A general assumption is you get a bitterness out of it equal to a 20 minute hop addition, but a more "rounded" or "softer" bitterness.

Here's what I do for first wort hopping:
Put my bittering hops in the boil kettle as soon as there's some wort from the lauter in it. Keep them there, with a little flame, until the lauter is done and the boil starts. Then the boil is the same from there.

Here's why I do it:
My Pilsners are to die for.

I have tried it - can't find any difference in flavor but be warned it will affect you hop utilization calculation if you are using less than a 90 minute boil - the time it takes to heat up your wort up to boiling with the hops already in is often not considered.

do you think beer smith take into consideration the above post? You can choose "first wort" as an option when you add hop to your recipe...

BeerSmith accounts for the FWH, just add your hops after you're done steeping your grains, while you bring your wort to a boil.

Beersmith (which I love and use) can't account for how much of a temp drop you get during your sparge and doesn't know how fast your wort will come up to boil - so that factor is a big ? in the equation.

Back