First Wort Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briegg

Reaction score
Long time lurker here,

I'm considering introducing some first wort hops into my house APA. The hops schedule I usually use is:

Chinook .3 oz : 1 hr
Pearle .5 oz : 30 Min
cascade .5oz: 15 min, 5 min, dry (1.5oz total)

I'd love some expert advice as to the best way to modify the schedule to introduce more hop flavor / aroma into the beer through FWH. Thanks!

fwh does make a difference in my opinion for flavor ,dry hopping is a plus gives more aroma than anything but some flavor does come and use more finishing hops at the end of the boil. mash hopping i have only done a few times and came out great. what is the gravity going to look like? doesn't seem like a lot of hops but than again i like to use more that one should.

The OG is usually about 1.055, final about 1.011. Are FWH usually added hops, or moving hops from your existing schedule?

The technique generally calls for moving approx. 30% of the total amount of hops used in your boil to FWH.

For me, though, with this beer, I would consider just switching the Chinook to FWH to get a bit of that Chinook character into the beer and leave the other additions the same. Just my opinion though. If you wanna do it by the book, see my first sentence above.

. . . . .
I'd love some expert advice as to the best way to modify the schedule to introduce more hop flavor / aroma into the beer through FWH. Thanks!

Well, I'm not an expert but what we've been doing for flavor/aroma is FWH, then remove the first hops and add them again at 5 mins. You can use a hopback type strainer or a hop bag. I'm going to try mashing the hops next time also.

Oh yeah, I would also add more quantity in late addition and dry hopping.

Just to muddy the water :D...I'd just move the Perle to FWH and leave everything else the same.

+1 on the Perle. My last 3 IPA's I moved my 20 and 30 min additions to FWH and love the difference it makes. More aroma and a smoother flavor. On my last batch I probably could have done without Dry Hops.

The technique generally calls for moving approx. 30% of the total amount of hops used in your boil to FWH.

Well, that's one way to do it. I do it by deciding on how much hop flavor I want, then seeing how much bitterness that amount of FWH gives me. Then I calculate the other hop additions accordingly.

Well, that's one way to do it. I do it by deciding on how much hop flavor I want, then seeing how much bitterness that amount of FWH gives me. Then I calculate the other hop additions accordingly.

Yeah, over time as I've used FWH more and more, my list of recipes has grown. So now it's just a matter of knowing from previous efforts how it's gonna work out for me, with my system and recipes. In homebrewing, everybody develops their own tweaks and techniques, as it should be. But the way FWH originally reemerged in homebrewing was the way I listed. At least that's the way I remember it.

Back