First Wort Hop @ night... brewing next day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forces

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a mash with a Munich/ Nugget SMaSH. I want to FWH it with .5 oz, but I am not actually brewing it until tomorrow. Will the effects of the FWH be lost if the wort cools over night, only to be re-heated tomorrow morning when I put it through the boil?

So, in other words, you mashed last night and collected the runnings with the FWH and let it sit overnight and will be boiling today?

I wouldn't think that this has anything of concern with the FWH as the hops will have already steeped which is the idea. I might assume there might be some effect on the way the FWH utilization is effected but I have no idea how it might be calculated.

IMO, I wouldn't worry much about it, you will still get the mellow bittered effect of the FWH which I am a big fan of, I do FWH on almost all of my beers.

I went ahead and did it. I didn't imagine there would be an issue, but I wanted to throw it out there, and see if anyone saw a major problem with that method.

Thanks!

When I've had to hold off on a boil for kettle carmelization etc I wait on my FWH until I start heating for the boil. It is basically no different than if you did the process straight through.

I don't think your method will effect very much though.

Admittedly, I haven't been much of a measuring and recording kind of brewer lately.
My last batch it ended up raining at night and I wasn't going to spend the time trying to boil it on a sh*tty electric stove. so I let it sit overnight with the fwh and boiled the next day.

It's been the best beer I've made yet!

Latest posts

Back